
I'm finally starting to realize that I should not try to be super-mom. I'm still working on remembering that every day and trying to let up on the super-wife syndrome, as well! You see, when you finally get so tired and moody you know you can't even get through supper, and you lie down on the couch, the kids are so surprised at seeing "Mom is down" that they take it quite seriously. The first time I did, I soon heard whispering in the kitchen. I kept my eyes closed as I heard plates and cups clinking. A little while later I was ushered into the kitchen. The girls had set the table, complete with folded napkins, candles, little love notes, mints, and juice already poured. I couldn't remember the last time my table had looked like that! I made a mental note that the next time I wanted to grouch at them for fighting or being naughty I should remember how sweet they can be! Yesterday, I lay down for a few minutes again. I simply couldn't go anymore. That baby's taking a lot out of me, I guess - a lot different than my last pregnancy - or am I getting old?? Rachel began to walk about busily, coming to whisper quietly into my ear a few times, "Don't peek, okay, mommy?" So I lay still, and she cleaned up the entire playroom all by her little self, to "surprise" me! When she heard me talking about it on the phone today, she quickly went to clear away the breakfast dishes which were still on the table, and the other day she must have remembered, too, because she put out two paper plates, some peanut butter and jelly and various mismatched snacks which she could reach, and told me softly, "Mommy? If you get hungry, it's all ready, 'kay?" Wow - who said four year olds couldn't be helpful?! So maybe the "no more fighting and bickering" chart hasn't gotten too far yet, a helpful idea we took over from Auntie Dawn, but they CAN do other noteworthy things... like Derek, who must have taken notice a while ago already that Mom doesn't need whining around her head, so if one of his favorite (the only ones he deems acceptable) jeans are not in his room, instead of complaining like he used to, he quietly goes down to check the dryer, and if that fails to turn them up, he, just as quietly, finds a pair of less desirable jeans and doesn't say a word about it when he comes down to breakfast. That's a sacrifice for that young man!
No comments:
Post a Comment